From PigBoats.COM

S-1 entering port at an unknown location early in her career, approximately 1920 or 1921. On her forward deck is a protective cage over the three Y-tube transducers for her early passive sonar system. Just below that are the slab-sided fairings for her bow plane pivots, a characteristic feature of the Quincy built members of this class.

Photo in the private collection of Ric Hedman

S-1 (fight) and S-2 (SS-106) moored outboard of the submarine tender USS Beaver (AS-5) at New York city. The sign on the building in the background says "New York Central Line". The time frame is pretty tight as the S-2 was modified with a large, flared bow and a bow buoyancy tank soon after trials and this is missing in this photo. The S-1 was commissioned on June 5, 1920 and the S-2 on May 25, 1920 and the Beaver left July 22, 1921 for the Pacific with S-2 and others. I give the date of this photo to be late summer 1920.

Photo courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection. Used with permission.

CDR Vincent John Moore was XO of the USS S-1 (SS-105) in 1921. He later became the CO of the USS R-9 (SS-86). He was a graduate of Annapolis, Class of 1917. He served on board USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) when it went to Europe with President Wilson to sign treaty ending WWI. CDR Moore retired from the Navy in 1924 due to health reasons. He was recalled to active duty in 1942 as an instructor. He passed away on Dec. 9, 1973.

Photo provide by his grandniece, Patricia M. Lynn.

New London, Connecticut -- The United States Navy held the first tryout of the "Peanut Plane" off New London resently. It is a tiny 3 cylinder airplane installed in a waterproof casing on the deck of the US Submersible S-1 and can be launched in the short time of 9 minutes. The plane weighs only 1000 pounds and is flown by the first "Submarine Pilot" Lt. Dolph C. Allen. Photo shows the plane completely assembled and ready for flight, which launched by lowering the stern of the submarine. 9-2-26

The first full cycle of surfacing, assembly, launching, retrieving, disassembly, and submergence took place on 28 July 1926 on the Thames River at New London.

News Photo in the private collection of Ric Hedman

S-1 was selected by the Navy to test the concept of operating an aircraft from a submarine. She is shown here conducting experiments with a Martin MS-1 floatplane in Willoughby Bay just off Naval Station Norfolk, VA., October 23, 1923. Her after deck has been widened, and a cylindrical watertight steel hangar has been installed aft of the fairwater. The plane was stored in the hangar disassembled. It had to be pulled out and assembled, then the boat would submerge the after deck until it floated off. The pilot would then start the engine and make his take off run. After landing the process would be the reverse. From first breaking the surface to the airplane taking off took at least 30-40 minutes, and the process required a flat calm sea to do safely. Testing showed the concept to be unpractical and the aircraft and hangar were removed. This was the only time that a USN submarine has operated an airplane.

U.S. Navy photo

S-1 at an unknown location, possibly Norfolk, VA., fall of 1923. In this photo S-1 has flooded down her after ballast tanks, submerging her stern. Note the crewmen walking on her after deck, up to their ankles in water. It appears that S-1 is trying to recover the MS-1 floatplane after a flight.

NHHC photo NH 99774.

S-1 underway for a photo opportunity at an unknown location, approximately mid 1920's.

Photo in the private collection of Ric Hedman

This photo was taken just a few minutes after the one above, and shows details of the S-1 fairwater, bridge, and superstructure. This is not all of the S-1's crew, and they may have only been the men assigned to operate and maintain the airplane.

U.S. Navy photo

A series of four photos that show S-1 diving with a very brave camera man on top of the periscope shears! Location is unknown, but the date is approximately 1923-1924.

Photos in the private collection of Ric Hedman

S-1 firing a Mk 10 torpedo. Location and date unknown, but is probably mid 1920's. In the first photo you can see the torpedo streaking away from the boat after firing. The gyroscope in the weapon has turned it to its pre-programmed course. In the second photo the weapon has reached the end of its run and a burst of compressed air has blown ballast water out of the non-explosive practice warhead. In the third and fourth photos the weapon has surfaced and is being picked up by a torpedo retriever boat.

Photos in the private collection of Ric Hedman

S-1 surfacing after a dive in the Thames River, CT., July 22, 1926.

Photo in the private collection of Ric Hedman

This photo was taken shortly after the one above, with the S-1's forward deck completely clear of the water, but with the after deck still submerged.

Photo in the private collection of Ric Hedman

Return to the S-class page | Return to the Submarine Classes page

Page created by:
Ric Hedman & David Johnston
1999 - 2023 - PigBoats.COM©
Mountlake Terrace, WA, Norfolk, VA
webmaster at pigboats dot com