From PigBoats.COM

Harold Wilson Lintner

Harold W Lintner
Harold W Lintner

Harold Wilson Lintner was born to parents Joseph S. Lintner (1867 – 1938) and Katie Marie Wilson Lintner (1874 – 1918) in Sticklerville, Missouri, a small town up near the Iowa boarder, on October 4, 1895. He was the second oldest of six children. There was an older sister named Ruth who was born in 1892 He had three younger brothers and one sister. Ralph W Lintner (1898 – 1899), Winnie Rayburn Lintner (1900 – 1959), Wilder Aldo Lintner (1903 – 1973) and Bernie Clarence Lintner (1906 – 1985) and Vernon born in 1909.

At some point the family moved from Sticklerville to Green City, Missouri which is farther north and west of Sticklerville.

We have been unable to determine the date of Lintber's enlistment into the Navy. There is no WW I registration card found for him so the best case scenario is that he was probably already in the Navy by the time the war broke out. In fact he would have been enlistment age by 1913.

The next chance we have to see Harold is in two identified photos of him aboard the submarine USS H-8. One taken on August 9, 1919 where he is in a group photo that was taken to commemorate the making of a movie called 'Behind the Door' staring Wallace Beery, Jane Novak and Hobart Bosworth.

The H-8 had been used as the German submarine U98 in the movie. Lintner is shown kneeling at the far left in the photo. (See photo at left above) At this time he is a Chief Electrician (Radio) supporting the length of time in service theory. It is entirely possible to make chief in 6 years. Some of the crew were used as extras in the movie. The second photo is undated but possibly taken in the same time frame shows him on deck while the submarine is underway. (See photo at right above)

On May 29, 1919 he married a woman from his home town, Iris Gail Goad. They may have been school sweethearts. He had taken leave and travelled back to Green City, Missouri for the ceremony. They were married by Rev. George W Green in the Methodist Episcopal Church in that city. Iris moved to California with her husband.

In 1920 he is listed in the US Census for the Submarine Base in San Pedro, Calif. as being aboard the submarine tender USS Alert. It is entirely possible he was attached to a submarine since the tenders acted as the living facilities for submarines at that time.

On April 16, 1922 daughter Patricia Katheryn is born to the couple. Also in 1922 we know that Harolds' brother Wilder was attending a University in Columbia, Missouri and was visited by their father who was now living in St. Louis.

In 1924 Iris is shown in the voter listing as living at 520 W. 20th Street in San Pedro. There is not listing for Harold but maybe he wasn't registered as a voter that year. She is listed as a Democrat and Socialist

The family is renting a home in Crescent City, Calif. in 1930 and has been at least since about 1925 since son Stanley W was born in Oregon where, at that time, may have been the closest hospital. Harold was quite possibly stationed at a Radio Compass Station in that area.

Voter registration lists for 1928 show the couple was back living in Los Angles County, San Pedro area at 2711 Carolina Ave and he is still in the Navy and she a housewife. He is registered as a Republican and she a Democrat. This address is very close, within a mile, to the San Pedro Submarine Base. But no indication if he is attached to a submarine at this time. This address will remain the family home into 1959.

In the 1930 US Census we pick up Harold and Iris and they seem to be taking borders into their home. Harold is assigned to a Radio Compass Station and all five of the lodgers are in the Navy and assigned to the same Radio Compass Station. Radio Compass Stations like these were being set up and manned by the Navy on both coasts. Through the use of these stations radio signals could be triangulated and the signal, be it friendly or an enemy, could be located.

Here is another segment of Lintners' life that is fairly blank until we reach 1940. In 1940 daughter Patricia is 17 years old and son Stanley is 14.

Harold is attached to the US Receiving Station in Philadelphia from San Diego. He is sent from Philadelphia to the Submarine Base in New London, Conn. on September 23, 1940, the next day to service aboard the USS S-32. The S-32 had just been recommissioned on September 18, 1940 and was in need of experienced crew. Since this was an older boat men who had had service in these ships no doubt were assigned to her. Muster lists show him still aboard on December 31, 1940.

We are making an assumption that the family moved with him to the east coast assignments. It is assumed the family rented the San Pedro house while they were away since they go back to this home later.

On March 10, 1941, daughter Patricia married Richard Carroll Cooper who may have been a submarine sailor as well. There are records that show a Richard Carroll Cooper, a Yeoman 3/c assigned to the USS R-11 at this same time. His next submarine was the USS S-21. Both subs were out of the Submarine Base in New London. Data on this marriage is confused because we find this same man with a wife named Gertrude on his tombstone. We can find no files that show a divorce from Patricia or a marriage to Gertrude.

In October of 1941 Harold is transferred to the Naval Research Laboratory in Bellevue inside the District of Columbia. He is back aboard the S-32 by December.

On April 4, 1942 he has been transferred to the USS S-22 (Center picture in photo above). The S-22 is commanded at this time by Lieutenant Joseph F. Enright later to become famous for his commands of the USS Dace and Archerfish during WW II.

By May he is transferred to the Submarine Base at New London where he was apparently assigned to the USS R-5. She was making patrols along the Bermuda-New England shipping lanes looking for U-boats. By June of 1942 he is now aboard the USS R-7. By all this jumping around we make a guess and think he may be involved in training and setting up or installation of new equipment in these older boats. The war was ramping up and these older craft were used in training new volunteers to the service.

On a muster list for August 1942 he shows up aboard the USS R-1 He has had his rate changed and is now a Chief Radioman Electrician. The R-1 was making anti U-boat patrols at this time and Harold may have been aboard for at least one of these patrols.

On December 15, 1943 Harold is promoted to the rank of Lieutenant jg (Temporary). There may have been a promotion to Ensign on August 15, 1942 but that is purely conjecture.

On April 1, 1945 Lintner is promoted again, this time to a full Lieutenant, again it is a temporary rank.

He retired in March of 1948 with the permanent rank of Lieutenant. Harold Lintner had had approximately 35 years Naval service. He and Iris continued to live on Carolina Street in San Pedro at least through 1959. Son Stanley is still living at home at this time.

In 1950 the family are still living at the same address and Stanley is still noted as living with them but by 1954 Stanley has married and has a wife named Dorothy.

Harold Wilson Lintner died on January 21, 1973 in Los Angeles. He was buried on January 24, 1973 at Green Hills Memorial Park, Rancho Palos Verdes, Los Angeles County, California. Plot: Crest Gardens, 113, D

Iris died on February 1, 1989 and is buried with Harold in the same plot.

Page created by:
Ric Hedman & David Johnston
1999 - 2023 - PigBoats.COM©
Mountlake Terrace, WA, Norfolk, VA
webmaster at pigboats dot com